Nagpur is famous as the second capital of Maharashtra due to its urban agglomerations. It is the thirteenth largest city, according to population. The city also has several engineering colleges that lure students from different parts of the globe.
In this article, we will highlight the leading educational universities that provide technical or engineering courses to students. This guide will also provide a comprehensive insight into the best engineering colleges in Nagpur as well as other essential details for engineering aspirants, such as academic information, eligibility criteria, career opportunities as well as ranking criteria of the institutes.
Engineering Colleges in Nagpur
Engineering is a branch that is concerned with the designing, building, as well as the use of engines, structures, and machines. There are several specialisations when it comes to engineering, and students can choose based on their interests and preferences. The most popular and sought-after engineering specialisations are Automation, Communication, Information Technology, Aeronautical, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Computer Science, Electronics, and Manufacturing.
There are several engineering colleges in Nagpur. Following is a detailed list of different engineering colleges in Nagpur, as per NIRF:
- LIT (Laxminarayan Institute of Technology)
- VNIT (Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology)
- Raisoni Engineering College
- Priyadarshini Engineering and Architecture
- Karmavir Dadasaheb Kannamwar Engineering college (KDK)
- L.A.D. & Smt. R.P. College for Women
- Shri. Ramdeobaba Kamla Nehru Engineering College (RKNEC)
- Yashwant Rao Chauhan Engineering College (YCCE)
- National Fire Service College
- C V Raman Engineering College
- Pandav Engineering College
- Nagpur Institute of Technology (NIT)
- Guru Nanak Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Jaidev Education Society, J. D. College of Engineering
- Shrimati Rajashri Modak College of Engineering for Women’s
- Bhausaheb Mulak College of Engineering
- Anjuman College of Engineering & Technology
- Cummins College of Engineering for Women
- ITM College of Engineering
- JL Chaturvedi College of Engineering
- Ankush College of Engineering
- National Power Training Institute
Entrance Exams for Engineering
Admissions to engineering colleges in Nagpur are conducted in two different ways. One is through entrance examinations, and the other is based on academic merit. For getting admission to the top engineering institutes in Nagpur, candidates need to write both the JEE-Main and JEE Advanced examinations. These are common engineering entrance exams that are regulated by the central government.
Many private colleges, as well as universities, have also created their entrance exams for students seeking admissions. Other engineering colleges take admission based on academic credit.
Basic Eligibility Criteria
There are many engineering institutes in Nagpur that give admissions to the students based on JEE Mains scores. The aspirants who score good rank in JEE Mains can secure admission through the Maharashtra Common Admission Process, which is also called CAP.
Another is the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test, which is a state-level exam for admission to several other well-known engineering colleges in Maharashtra. The Directorate of Technical Education Maharashtra regulates this exam. Several other engineering colleges conduct their engineering entrance exam.
Lastly, to be eligible for all these exams, a student needs to pass class 10+2 with the subjects – Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry. A candidate who has appeared for class 10+2 but is awaiting results can also take provisional admission to an engineering institute. The student should also have an age of at least 17 years.
The future career opportunities of a particular specialisation need to be considered before going for that course. Several specialisations open out many job profiles for individuals going into those fields. One should know or have an idea about which engineering profile he or she has to go for. You should also consider the current market scenario for that profile.
As per the current scenario, the most popular engineering profiles are Aerospace Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Biomedical Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Automotive Engineer, Civil Engineer, Computer Engineer, Environmental Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Drafting and Design Engineer, Software Engineer, Geological Engineer, Petroleum Engineer, and Mechanical Engineer. Choosing to enter into any of these profiles will set you into a lucrative career.