If you’re going to be shipping a package to another country, since the package is going overseas, you must complete a customs form for international shipping in order to declare the item. If you’ve never completed such a form before, it could be perplexing. Since this form needs to be completed correctly or you face the chance of your package failing to arrive at its destination or being delayed, you need to be sure it’s not only filled out completely but that it’s filled out accurately as well.
Shipping via USPS
For instance, when packing and shipping items internationally into the country of Argentina, a completed customs form must accompany any packages weighing more than 15.994 ounces. You may either print this form and complete it prior to arriving at the post office, or you can take your package to the counter at your local post office and one will be printed for you. The USPS representative will not complete the form for you, and there are different forms depending on how you intend to send the package. You need to be sure that you choose the proper one.
There is a listing of country-specific requirements on the USPS website that will explain exactly how to complete the customs declaration form depending on which countries you’re shipping to. Other shipping companies should be able to provide you with the same information, although you can go online as well to obtain the necessary requirements. However, if one shipping company states that a specific country has certain requirements for their international shipping, it will likely be the same regardless of the carrier. You should still verify this with the carrier that you’re using to be absolutely sure.
When filling out the customs form for international shipping, each shipment must include an invoice, depending on the item, and to find out which items don’t require an invoice, you will have to read the instructions for each individual country. Furthermore, each country has different items that are prohibited from being shipped, have their own maximum weight limits, and more. Never assume that one country has the same international shipping rules that a nearby country has. There is no way to determine this, so to avoid any possible problems from arising, always check. There are also size limits, as packages can not exceed a certain size. Again, the specifics vary with each country. Some other data that is required to be included with your shipments are:
- Complete name and address of shipper/seller/company
- A full description of the items included in the shipment
- The total cost of each item included in the shipment
- The country in which the items originated. This may be different from the country from which they are being shipped
- The quantity of the items in the shipment
- The receiver of the package may be required to pay customs fees based on the cost of the items, so exact figures are important
You should never leave anything blank on the customs form, and if you are unsure of how to answer any questions, you can seek assistance online through the customs site for the particular country you’re shipping to, and in some cases, your shipping attendant may be able to provide some guidance.
As you can see, customs forms and procedures are not universal, as each country has its own specific form and a different set of rules. Unfortunately, this can make the process confusing, especially if you ship packages to multiple countries. If you only ship packages internationally on occasion, then you shouldn’t have too much difficulty completing the necessary declaration paperwork. It may take a bit to figure it out, but it shouldn’t cause too much stress. However, if you ship packages on a regular basis to multiple countries for business purposes, then you should consider seeking the services of an experienced manufacturer and a reliable shipping company.
What are the benefits of obtaining the services of a shipping company?
There are many benefits of investing in the services of a shipping and manufacturing company. These are just some of those benefits:
- Avoid taxes – When declaring items to be shipped internationally, taxes must be paid on the goods you are shipping to the other country. However, if you choose the right company to manage your shipping, you may not have to pay these fees. Certain companies that specialize in shipping items internationally are exempt from paying taxes, which may certainly be beneficial to you
- Avoid stress – It can be stressful completing customs forms for shipment to various international destinations that you’re not familiar with. If you invest in the services of a dependable shipping company, all the responsibility will be taken off you and you can relax, knowing that all your packages will be delivered to your customers in a timely manner
- Save time – Completing customs forms for international shipping can be very lengthy and time-consuming, especially if you must take the time to learn about each country’s specific form. The right shipping manufacturer will handle the entire process, so you can spend your time managing other important business tasks
- Assurance of arrival and security – A dependable shipping manufacturer will ensure that all your packages arrive intact and on schedule. The shipping company will guarantee that all forms are completed properly for customs so there shouldn’t be any problems that will cause a delay in delivery
Kaiser & Johnson is a reputable shipping company with years of experience managing international shipping of all types. Kaiser & Johnson is experienced in military shipping and is familiar with all the requirements of every aspect of the shipping process.
Filling out a customs form for international shipping can be a complicated process. Not only is there a chance of completing the declaration form incorrectly and possibly delaying delivery, but any number of other mistakes could be made, which could cause unexpected issues to arise. Fortunately, Kaiser & Johnson can manage all of your shipping needs so you won’t have to contend with any prospective issues. Contact Kaiser & Johnson today to get started, so you can allow them to manage all of your complicated shipping tasks for you.