Tongue Press: Sit with back straight, tilt neck towards ceiling, press tongue to the roof of your mouth, now lower your chin to your chest without rounding the upper back. Return to staring position and do 20 reps. Chin Rotations: Sit with back straight and shoulders down, rotate neck with chin touching chest and shoulders in a circular motion. 10 reps either side.
Curejoy Expert Dipti Mothay Explains:
The two main muscles that make up your neck are the sternocleidomastoid and platysma. Over time, skin loses collagen and elasticity, causing it to sag around the neck and chin. Factors like sun exposure; smoking and poor diet can intensify the process. Certain exercises will help in toning the muscles that make up your neck, which can help pull the overlaying skin tighter for a younger, healthier look and eliminate double chin.
- Sitting with your back straight and shoulders down, tilt your head back so that you are looking at the ceiling.
- Forcefully press your tongue flat to the roof of your mouth.
- Then, keeping your tongue against the roof of your mouth, lower your chin to your chest as far as possible without rounding your upper back.
- You should feel your chin and the front of your neck contract.
- Then relax your tongue and straighten your neck to return to the starting position.
- Complete two sets of 20 reps each.
- In a seated or standing position, elongate your spine for a tall, straight back.
- Then, leading with your chin, slowly and gently rotate your head so it moves in a full circle from your shoulder to chest to shoulder to back. (If full circular rotations bother your neck, stick with semicircles moving from shoulder to shoulder.)
- Make sure to keep your shoulders down and back throughout the movement.
- Complete 10 reps. Repeat in the opposite direction.
This exercise works on the muscle that runs down from your jaw along your neck called platysma.
- Stand with your neck erect.
- Tighten the tendons in your jaw by pulling your lips up over your teeth and turning the corners of your mouth downward, almost as if you were frowning.
- Hold for 10 seconds, and then relax.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times.
This article was republished from curejoy.com.